17 August, 2017

dire straits and dirty consequences

This is going to be in several parts, but I can't stand back and not cover this. Because this is ridiculous privilege on an insane level.

Also, I made the choice not to anonymize Desmond Shang, because as soon as the rest of the chat mentions Caledon, he'll effectively be named anyway.
[21:57] Desmond Shang: ok, about to do an announcement
[21:57] Desmond Shang: if anyone's interested.
Des, for those who may be new to the blog, owns the Independent States of Caledon.
[21:57] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: O.O
[21:57] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: I am
[21:57] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: cries gloom and doom!
[21:57] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: the skye is falling
[21:57] Desmond Shang: I'm sorry we didn't have much of a public discussion about changes as we normally do
[21:57] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: we have discussions?
[21:57] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: makes a note
Actually, quite a few policy decisions have been hashed out in ISC chat over the years. It's not an everyday thing, but it has happened.
[21:57] Desmond Shang: but this one, I think people will understand ~ I've got to make the call and stick to it.
[21:58] Desmond Shang: well ti's been ages since we had anything like this.
[21:58] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: oh no!
[21:58] Desmond Shang: looks like you will be the only one on chat to hear it :)
[21:58] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: no there are others out there
[21:58] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: Oh?
[21:58] Cxxxxxxx Wxxxxxxxx: Meep
[21:58] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: see.
[21:58] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: I'm here
[21:59] Desmond Shang: a couple others
[21:59] Ixxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I'm here
[21:59] sxxxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx): I'm listening
[21:59] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: puts on her rabbit ears
[21:59] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: the rabbit gave a good fight
[21:59] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: before i got them off
[21:59] Desmond Shang: this was a long time coming, I'm afraid... anyway, here goes.
[22:00] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: your the boss
[22:00] Pxxxxx Rxxxxxx: WHAT?!?!
[22:01] Bxxx Pxxxxxxx: I am on too, and I say HEAR, HEAR! I applaud the decision.
This makes it sound like he'd sent the notice, but I didn't receive it until the time mentioned below. But these do seem to be reactions to that notice.
[22:01] Pxxxxx Rxxxxxx: FINE, I'm LEAVING THE GROUP! THAT IS OFFENSIVE TO WHO I AM AND WHERE I CHOOSE TO LIVE!!!
Well, now I'm just confused. Is she seriously talking about leaving Caledon over...a flag?? I don't get it.
[22:01] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: maby we should just say alright and moveon
[22:01] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: The Govnah has spoken
[22:01] Pxxxxx Rxxxxxx: Too many Sheeple
[22:01] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: *sigh*
[22:02] Pxxxxx Rxxxxxx: You allow non inclusive arabic names and such, but not My flag?!?
[22:02] Pxxxxx Rxxxxxx: Farewell Caledon
Is she...kidding? I really hope she's kidding.
[22:02] Bxxx Pxxxxxxx: Oh dear, And I was just about to wonder if it really was an issue here, Caledon being the tolerant and accepting state that it is.
[22:03] Cxxxxxxxxx Cxxxxxxx: It is NOT your flag, since the CSA doesn't exist anymore, OUR flag is the stars and stripes. Which I don't fly in Caledon, because....hello Caledon!
[22:03] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: Sorry people, but He is the owner, it's his house, he gets to choose what is and isn't allowed in his house...
[22:03] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: I never had any desire to fly a confederate flag in Caledon... until I was told I could not.
That's just being contrary for the sake of being contrary. Why?
[22:06] Desmond Shang: I think now, some of you may be experiencing the sort of flak and feelings I've been dealing with daily for a while.
[22:06] Lxxx Sxxxxx can imagine, and doesn't want to.
[22:06] Lxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: I agree, Des. Thank you.
[22:07] Lxxx Sxxxxx: RL is crazier than SL at this point.
[22:07] Desmond Shang: After 12 years of it, and last week, that was pretty much it.
[22:07] Cxxxxxxxxx Cxxxxxxx: (heck I'd fly the caledon flag from my cabin cruiser but it's a MODERN cabin cruiser)
[22:07] Cxxxxxxx Wxxxxxxxx: Wouldn't stop me, Ms. [CC]!
[22:07] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: Ms. [CC], never stopped me (LOL)
[22:08] Gxxxxxxx Rxxxx: Were there a lot of Confederate flags flying in Caledon? I had to deal with this years ago when I owned New Toulouse.
[22:09] Cxxxxxxx Wxxxxxxxx: As for that "non-inclusive Arabic name" remark, that was directed at me over our rebuilding efforts. I see it didn't go as deep as I thought it did - at this point, I think Miss [P]'s basically lost all of her credibility with me.
As I mentioned in a previous article, the naming of Mondrago-risen has been an issue of some note. Though now I'm wondering about the 'non-inclusive' name reference, because Mondrago is not, and never has been, Caledon. So what does she actually mean?
[22:09] Gxxxxxxxx Rxxx: Seeing as we were based on New Orleans. And St John is too, although it's never been an issue here.
[22:09] Cxxxxxxxxx Cxxxxxxx: isn't Mondrago like Al-Andalus but meditteranean?
[22:10] Kxxxxxx Hxxxxxxxx has one look at the notice, laughs, and goes to make the biggest bowl of popcorn in years.
[22:10] Cxxxxxxx Wxxxxxxxx: Yes, in fact, judging from the name, I'd say Al-Andalus wouldn't have been very far from our successive Balearic city-states.
[22:10] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: New Tolouse said no last year
[22:11] Cxxxxxxx Wxxxxxxxx: The Republic of Cala Mondrago has always been somewhere off the eastern coast of Spain.
[22:11] Gxxxxxxx Rxxxx: I had already said no when I owned it in 2012. ;-)
[22:11] Cxxxxxxx Wxxxxxxxx: Avoid wars you can't win, and never raise your flag for an asinine cause like slavery. :)
[22:12] Axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: OK we need to stop now.
[22:12] Cxxxxxxx Wxxxxxxxx: Sorry, [Axxxxx].
Then the notice--at least, for me and some others--came out.
[22:12] Desmond Shang:
Group Notice Sent by: Desmond Shang
Rare Caledon covenant change from Des.
It's pretty rare the Caledon covenant changes (it has been YEARS) but there will be a change. In short: no Confederate flags.

There is probably an appropriate venue for discussion of the fine points of 'why' or 'why not' vis a vis the Confederate flag, but in short, that venue isn't here in Caledon. This has been a pernicious issue here for years, and I've tried to be as patient as possible, but after the RL events of last week... it's time.

Des
I think that pretty much says it all, doesn't it? Well...not for some.
[22:12] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: So... back to the eclipse
And...that should have been where it ended. But...no, of course it didn't end there.
[22:13] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: I think it is something to have a discussion about.
According to Des, he's been dealing with this issue since Caledon launched, so believe me, all relevant discussion has likely already occurred.
[22:13] axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: It is done
[22:13] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: Kind of funny, it's happening the day before a doctors appointment I have had schedualed for like a year and a half
[22:15] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: They asked me if i could remember it. I said well it's the day after a major eclipse... I'll remember that when the lights go out and come back on... I should get my eyes checked... lol
[22:15] axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: :-)
[22:28] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: Would anyone like to come to my lighthouse and see my confederate flag flying high over the tower?
No.
[22:29] NNxxxx Sxxxxxxx: *sigh* and people wonder why the world is less than it was... here it is
[22:29] Sxxx Fxxxxxxxx: geez
[22:29] axxxxxxxxxxx Rxxxxxxx: waves at skye.
[22:29] Sxxx Fxxxxxxxx waves unhappily back
[22:30] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: If Desmond is going to pull the free expression part of the Caledon Covenant, I at least want a reduction in my rent.
You won't get it. Because you can always leave and live elsewhere.

[22:30] Sxxx Fxxxxxxxx: I'm quite stunned....
[22:31] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: Nobody wants to come see the stars and bars flying over Stormhold?
Nope.

[22:31] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: It's almost like... no one cares?
After Charlottesville? No, I think the problem is that many of us started to care, where we didn't before (and joined the rest of us who have cared for a great while). We are not supporting neo-Nazis and rebranded white nationalists. As a teacher on Twitter said, you cannot be a patriotic American and a Nazi. Because we fought a literal war over it. The whole world participated.

[22:31] Sxxx Fxxxxxxxx: you don't wanna get me started, [Exxxxxxxx]
[22:31] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: Hmm...
[22:31] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: It's not freedom of expression, you are flying the flag of someone who was an enemy of the United States... *sigh* As a Veteran, and someone who faught in a war, this right here pisses me off...
[22:31] Sxxx Fxxxxxxxx: I hate it when rl dribbles into sl like that
[22:32] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: I did not start it.
[22:32] Sxxx Fxxxxxxxx: me either - I'm originally a yank
[22:32] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: But its here now. The Governor brought it in.
Yes. Des brought it in. Do you know why he brought it in, Miss [Pxxxxx]? Because of PEOPLE LIKE YOU who refuse to listen to reason. He's fought this battle for years now, and after Charlottesville, he cannot continue the controversy on his lands. He is saying no. It is his right to say no. You don't have to live in Caledon. You can live elsewhere.

[22:32] Sxxx Fxxxxxxxx: but I still think the thing is pointless
[22:32] Sxxx Fxxxxxxxx hangs up
[22:32] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: IT'S HIS PLACE! HE MAKES THE RULES!
Precisely. Why are you bucking the system, Miss [Pxxxxx]?

[22:34] Nxxxx Rxxx: Personally I think the Covenant should read ONLY steamlands flags, or only caledon flags
[22:34] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: [Nxxxxx], I agree.
[22:35] Lxxx Sxxxxx: Freedom of expression says you can rip up a picture of the Pope, too. It doesn't say anybody has to like you after you do it.
[22:38] Mxxx Mxxxxxxx: This is a hot issue in RL today. and people are acting, in my opinion, all Salem Witch Trials. Of course slavery is disgusting but why not fix today's evils - like imprisoned sex workers.
[22:38] Bxxx Pxxxxxxx: [Nxxxx], I kind of like that idea, because it cuts out RL entirely.
[22:38] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: Sure looks pretty up there... Not quite flapping in the breeze because I don't know how to do flexi-prims, but you get the idea.
I, for one, really don't. Feel free to paper the inside of your skybox with Confederate flags, if you wish, but keeping it up, publically displayed, after Des has stated firmly that no Confederate flags will be allowed...that's less standing up for freedom of speech, Miss [Pxxxxx], and more like a tiny chimpanzee flinging poo. It's definitely showing poor manners, at best, and at worst, deliberately trying to test Des' control. It won't work.
[22:40] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: [Mxxx], while I agree with you, people who keep sex slaves aren't walking into clergy conferences and beating them up, they aren't marching to incite riots, and they aren't ramming their cars into innocent people...
[22:40] Desmond Shang: I'm going to point something out, just to be totally clear.
[22:40] Desmond Shang: Free speech, USA style, literally includes Nazi flags.
[22:42] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: Funny thing, in Germany, a free democracy of sorts, if you fly that flag, or Nazi salute, you will get beat up, and arrested...
[22:42] Desmond Shang: Quite frankly, I'm not going to blow up Caledon over a 'cause' ~ not this one. I had people demand free expression over child avatars too. I'm done with this one.
[22:42] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: Arrested.
[22:43] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: Yes, arrested...
[22:43] Cxxxxxxxxx Cxxxxxxx: yep, considering what happened they take Nazi expression VERY seriously.
[22:43] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: I can kind of understand where they are coming from. Clearly as a nation, after starting two world wars, Germany doesn't have the maturity or self-control to deal with that sort of thing.
Maturity and...self...control...Miss [Pxxxxx], are you TRYING to piss people off?

[22:43] Desmond Shang: [Exxxxxxxx], I'm a jew. just fyi.
[22:43] Cxxxxxxxxx Cxxxxxxx: I wouldn't say that, they might think that they are being mature by dealing with it the way they are.
[22:44] Cxxxxxxxxxxx Fxx jew-high-fives Desmond
[22:44] Desmond Shang: good night, all.
And with that, Des of the massive storeholds of patience, had potentially reached his breaking point. He left rather than wallow in the conversation that followed.

What can I say? I'm a wallower.
[22:44] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: Most Germans don't understand why we allow the confederate flag...
[22:44] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: Oh. Did you know that the Secretary of State of the Confederacy was a jew?
[22:44] Cxxxxxxxxxxx Fxx: Night Des :o
[22:44] Nxxxx Sxxxxxxx: good night Govnah
[22:44] Cxxxxxxx Wxxxxxxxx: Goodnight, Guv!
[22:45] Cxxxxxxxxxxx Fxx: I just logged in. Looks like I missed a chat!
[22:45] Bxxx Pxxxxxxx: Goodnight guv
[22:45] Exxxxxxxx Pxxxxx: They did not hate jews
No? Jews were also targeted for late-night runs of men in white hoods. They generally weren't left lynched on the trees, though. They were simply beaten, shot, and buried, so their families never knew what happened.

But you are right in that, during the Civil War, they needed staunch fighting men on their side. So Judah Benjamin, a strong supporter of slavery, was elected to the office. He was the first Jew to be elected to the State Senate who had not renounced the faith.

But, Miss [Pxxxxx], where you're dead-on wrong is that the Confederate flag you seem so determined to fight for wasn't adopted as a symbol during, or even just after, the Civil War. It was widely adopted between the mid-1930s and the 1940s by so-called 'white supremacist' groups, that vowed that anyone darker of skin would never be comfortable in their 'modern' South.

What began as a regiment's charge became a racist symbol, and that symbol, like the swastika, cannot be reclaimed.

(Continued in part two.)

1 comment:

Kirasha Urqhart said...

Thank you for posting the notice, Miss Orr! I have my account set to send IMs/Group Notices to email and, yet, I don't have an email for this one. Will have to make time tonight to check in world, but it looks like it never came through.

As for the chat that followed...I'm afraid, to borrow the RL vernacular, I just can't with people who insist on flying that flag as freedom of expression or free speech and damn anyone who says differently to hell. That's not how the First Amendment works.

*sigh* Poor Des having to deal with this constantly for years.

hide away, they say, 'cos we don't want your broken parts

Yeah, so...remember that thing I was recovering from? You know, last year ? Yeah. I did it again. So this is Em Faw Down Go Boom part ...